Pre 1500's historical
Back to: Top |
Lists |Booktalks main
- _Book of Three_ by Lloyd Alexander (fantasy)
- John Bellairs', THE TROLLEY TO YESTERDAY, reading
level=3-6; interest level 6. ( I found several in which the
reading level was appropriate, but not the interest level.)
Summary : Time travel to Constantinople of 1453 and Egypt 14 BC.
Main character, 13 yr. old boy tries to help during the Turkish
invasion of Constantinople. "Gives sense of battle coupled with
whimsy of time travel."
- A string in the harp by Nancy Bond (6th century, Wales)
- Bosse, Malcolm CAPTIVES OF TIME
- Fire, Bed and Bone by Henrietta Branford is Wat Tyler's
Rebellion told by a dog.
- series by J. H. Brennan of books about Shiva: A girl of
the ice age.
- His Majesty, Queen Hatshepsut by Dorothy Sharp Carter
(1503-1482 B.C., Egypt);
- Cushman, Karen CATHERINE, CALLED BIRDY
- The Midwife's Apprentice by Karen Cushman.
- BOY IN THE PAINTED CAVE BY JUSTIN DENZEL (C1988)
- Dorris, Michael. MORNING GIRL
- _Whipping Boy_ by Sid Fleischman (part farce)
- an ancient Greek story: _Fair Wind for Troy_ by Doris Gates
Adam of the Road by Gray
- Anpao by Jamake Highwater. It's a Native American
myth--absolutely fantastic! All about a boy--Anpao--and his quest
to find his father. The ONLY flaw to the book is the chapter
called "Deer Woman"......bizarre and unnecessary, has NOTHING to
do with the plot. We skipped over that chapter. EVERYTHING else is
- Kirwan, Anna JULIET : A DREAM TAKES FLIGHT, ENGLAND,
1339 (GIRLHOOD JOURNEYS)
- Konigsburg, E. L. A PROUD TASTE FOR SCARLET AND MINEVER
- Laker, Rosalind CIRCLE OF PEARLS
- _Ella Enchanted_ by Gail Carson Levine. Cinderella's
earlier years. Ever wonder why she was so obedient to her
stepmother and evil stepsisters? This book will tell you why.
Good, solid, clear-thinking heroine, with just enough mix of
obedience, mischief, and intellegence. Highly recommended!
- White Falcon by Hilda Lewis, probably not in print any
- "Black Horses for the King" by Anne McCaffery. A young
boy helps a new leader gather horses for a future move to unite
England. (King Arthur). I enjoyed it and recommended it to our 6th
- _Hero and the Crown_ by McKinley
- Merino, Jose Maria THE GOLD OF DREAMS
- Napoli, Donna Jo ZEL
- _Master Puppeteer_ by Katherine Paterson (set in
- Of nightingales that weep by Katherine Paterson
- _Parzival_ by Katherine Paterson
- Try the Brother Cadfael mystery series by Ellis Peters.
They are about a monk who solves mysteries in the 1100s. They are
pretty interesting, relatively fast paced, and have also been
turned into a series on PBS's Mystery show.
- Ransom for a knight by Barbara Leonie Picard
- Otto of the Silver Hand by Howard Pyle.
- _Black Arrow_ by Robert Louis Stevenson (exciting but a
- Bartholomew Fair by Stolz
- Sutcliffe, Rosemary THE SHINING COMPANY
- The Ramsay Scallop by Francis Temple.
- Thomas, Dawn C. Gill KAI : A MISSION FOR HER VILLAGE,
AFRICA, 1440 (GIRLHOOD JOURNEYS)
- _Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court_ by Twain
- _Adam of the Road_ by Vining
- Jan Wahl How the Children Stopped the War (Children's
- Parcels of Patterns by Jill Patton Walsh,
- "Detectives in Togas" by Henry Winterfield.
- Battle for the Castle by Elizabeth Winthrop is along
the lines of Indian in the Cupboard, if time escape devices help.
- _The Dragon's Boy_ by Jane Yolen, Harper 1990, 120 p.
Lots of recommending reviews.
- Jane Yolen/Passager, Hoby, Merlin trilogy.
Webmaster | Last
Updated: March 13, 1999 | Copyright © 1999 by Nancy
Permission is granted for the noncommercial duplication and use of
this resource, provided it is substantially unchanged from its
present form and appropriate credit is given.